Everyday you have an important choice to make upon awaking. Only you have the ability to choose to have a positive attitude or a negative one as you deal with life’s events.
Being optimistic can counteract the negative impact stress, tension and anxiety has on your immune system and well-being. Having a negative attitude only sets you up for failure and sickness.
The following are keys to a great, positive mental attitude.
- Be prepared for the day ahead. Give yourself enough time to get dressed and reflect on the day’s events. If you have to, prepare things the night before. If you are rushed for whatever reason, you set yourself up for negativity.
- Eat a good breakfast. By choosing healthy breakfast items, you are fueling your body for the day ahead. Besides, when you do feel better….on an empty stomach or after eating a wholesome meal?
- Visualize success. Remember what you think often comes true. Lance Armstrong, 7 time Tour de France winner, visualized crossing the finish line first. So see yourself being successful.
- Humor, energy, and enthusiasm. Surround yourself with people who possess all three of these characteristics. Be sure that you can laugh at yourself, having the energy in your life or profession is critical to your success, and energy creates enthusiasm.
- Avoid negative tendencies and people. We have all known negative people and how they can drain energy and optimism out of you. Their intent is to bring you down and have you play on their team. Keep away from these people.
- Get a good night’s sleep. In my September article I reviewed the importance of sleep.
- Be a problem solver, not a problem giver. Think of ways to get things done, not ways to sabotage your efforts. Remember, “Whether you say you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
- Get regular physical activity. With the release of endorphins (That natural feel gooddrug your body releases from the brain), and improved mental function, who can honestly say that exercise didn’t improve their outlook.
- Embrace change. Most people respond to change negatively. Mostly because it is an unknown and it takes us out of our comfort zone. The great thing about change is that if we don’t like it, we can change our minds and try something else. Change is the only thing you can count on.
- Write down and display affirmations. The more positive statements you see in a day, the more positive you become. Post them on your mirror, dashboard, and computer screen, anywhere that you will frequently see them.
Be grateful for what you have. By looking at your attributes, blessings and possessions and not comparing yourself to others, you will develop a genuine, positive attitude. What are you most grateful for?